From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. John 1:16

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16






Monday, March 26, 2012

Days 8 & 9- Shamian Island

Boy my days are really running together now! I'm trying not to get behind on keeping this blog each day so that a bunch of events don't run together. Sunday was one week that Maggie has been with us. She's went from a very shy and scared little girl to a smiling little monkey. I'm wondering if she thinks she's on vacation :-) I also have to say that she is so much more beautiful in person than any of the photos we have of her. She's absolutely perfect!

So Sunday was Shamian Island day. We attended a Christian worship service in Mandarin-English. It was held in an old chapel inside the park. The house was packed! There were people even standing out the door and in front of the church. They were able to listen to everything thru the outside speaker system. We recognized all the praise songs and the sermon topic was "Do you know Jesus?" It was wonderful to hear God's people praising him in another language.

The rest of the afternoon we spent shopping around. We got several neat things for Maggie and our kids at home. The best part was that everything was soooo inexpensive. Well, I tried to use a little tough love with Maggie to try to get her in the stroller. I finally got her in it, buckled and on the move. The bad part was she still screamed her head off the entire time. I let her cry at first but she was so upset I thought she might throw up. Yep, she won that battle once again. Please help us pray she will get used to things quickly. I'm still very worried about our 2 hour drive home from the airport in a car seat. She's pretty strong-willed. Our other children will be with us for the drive home as well. I'm a little afraid she will traumatize them!

So Monday was a trip back to the medical exam place to check the TB skin tests. Everyone passed with flying colors, yay!!! From there we went to a museum. I really don't remember the name of it, but everything was beautiful and Maggie enjoyed walking around in the courtyards. I'm surprised at the amount of attention she gets from the Chinese people here. If she notices they're staring at us she starts to wave and blow kisses. Too cute! And of course, the people love it. I've attached a few pics of Maggie in the courtyard and a couple from our room. She loves to play peek-a-boo from the bathroom. After the museum most of us went back to Shamian Island for a little more shopping. We ran out of time on the first day and this time we could take all the time we wanted.

When Monday evening came we had a breakthrough! She's actually let Kevin pick her up! Wouldn't you know I didn't have either camera with me? We got ice-cream and French fries from a McDonald's next door and headed for the playground at the hotel. We blew bubbles for a long time and she finally decided to swing and slide. During all the fun and running around she ran to straight to Kevin with her arms out. After that, he was toast! They spent the next hour with her running past him (thinking she was being sneaky) and he would scoop her up as she burst into laughter. Thank you, Lord for those moments :-)

Tuesday we have a free day and we're thinking of going to a zoo with a couple of other families. Wednesday is the big day for our Consulate appt. We're getting closer to coming home! We can't wait to get there! Love to you all from Guangzhou, China <3

4 comments:

  1. Crystal, we worried about the car ride home too with both of ours and both were asleep in their car seats after about 10 minutes, and neither cried. They both slept on the plane and you would think that they would be wide awake but the plane ride is so exhausting that they both just slept in their car seats. I made sure my sister who met us had a drink they would like, for Taylor chocolate milk. So don't worry too much, as you know already.....everything works out:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal I love reading this everyday! And the pictures are great!! Of course I tune up about everytime I see them. Maggie is just precious. I can't wait to see her. Praying that you will have a smooth journey home. love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin and Crystal,

    This is so much fun getting on here and reading this every day. The picture of Maggie kissing Kevin is just toooo precious. I am counting down the days until you guys are home and we can meet sweet little miss Maggie. I know you guys will be so glad to get home to the kids and all start bonding as a family. The kids are so excited at the thought of you coming home. I am praying for a safe, peaceful trip home for you guys. Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise the Lord for answered prayer! The kids were excited to hear Maggie let Kevin hold her. We are praying now that your flights will be on schedule, and she will ride in her car seat without a fuss. Maybe it will help having the kids to entertain her a bit. The pictures are great and so sweet, I always get teary eyed. Still counting down the days...see you soon!

    ReplyDelete