From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. John 1:16

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16






Sunday, March 4, 2012

Travel Plans: Some Babies arrive by plane!



The call we've waited on finally came!  On Friday, February 24, I received a call from our travel coordinator that we had our travel approval and we would be traveling in 3 weeks!  Sydney and I were in Wal-Mart when the call came.  She got so excited that she wanted to call everyone right then.  So we did.  She was so proud to share the news. 

We leave Thursday evening March 15 from Nashville and land in Detroit.  From Detroit we have a long flight to Beijing.  Our total time in the air is going to be around 17 hours.  I plan to take books, music and medication.  We are scheduled to land in Beijing around midnight (China time) on Friday the 16th.  We're practically losing a day on the way over.  Funny thing is, the 16th is Kevin's birthday.  I told him I shouldn't have to get him anything this year since we're literally flying right past it :-)  Since our flight is at night and it'll be bedtime when we get to China, maybe I can catch up some years of sleep deprivation! 

We will be in a travel group with some other families from our agency as well.  Including us, I believe it's 4 or 5 families.  All of us will fly into Beijing and then most everyone is going to a different province for their children.  Then everyone from our group will reunite in Guangzhou where everything will be made final.  It'll be interesting to get to know a few people in the China adoption world.  A sweet little surprise awaited us as I read thru our travel itinerary.  Typically, families are in Beijing for 2 days to sightsee before traveling to their child's province.  Guess what?  We are only in Beijing for one day of sightseeing and then on to Maggie's province.  We will have her in our arms a day earlier than we expected!  That is really a big deal to me!  Isn't that just like God to give you those sweet little gifts?  I just taught our Sunday night kids a lesson on patience a couple of weeks ago.  One of the things I told them is that God in never late, he's rarely early and he's always on time!  Now I'm gonna have to tell those kids he did something early for me!

I also found out that Facebook and Blogger are blocked in China.  Doesn't that figure?!  I will most likely ask someone to keep my blog going for me.  Hopefully I can email them our posts and photos and they can "blog it" for me.  There's a lot of travel in-country once we get there as well.  Our itinerary is as follows:

Thursday, March 15- Depart Nashville for Detroit, then depart Detroit for Beijing

Friday, March 16- Arrive in Beijing at approx midnight

Saturday, March 17- Beijing Sightseeing

Sunday, March 18- GOTCHA DAY!  A.M.- Flight to Guizhou
P.M.- Meet Maggie Mei-Ling Dye!!!

Monday, March 19---Thursday, March 22- Civial affairs appt and LOTS of other appointments as well as some sightseeing and shopping in her home province.

Friday, March 23- Flight to Guangzhou (where adoption will be made final) for Consulate appt and paperwork 

Saturday, March 24---Tuesday, March 27- Maggie's medical exam, more paperwork and sightseeing/shopping

Wednesday, March 28- Consulate appt at 10:00 am and Consulate Oath-Taking Ceremony

Thursday, March 29- Pick-up Maggie's visa and depart Guangzhou for Hong Kong

Friday, March 30- Depart Hong Kong for the USA!!!
Arrive in Detroit (Maggie will officially become a US citizen as soon as our plane touches down)
Depart Detroit for Nashville!!!


My brain is overwhelmed at this point at what needs to be packed, getting all the arrangements in place for our kids while we're gone, paying some bills ahead, etc.  I have to say little Miss Maggie is mostly packed!  I did most of hers today.  So much fun!  On the other end of things, my 3 kiddos are getting nervous now that the time for mom and dad to leave is this close.  They're a little worried for our safety, but mostly worried just because we've never been away from one another for this length of time.  I'll admit I almost tear up when I think about leaving them behind.  I'm afraid if I start crying I won't be able to stop.  I'm praying and I ask you all to be praying that these 15 days will pass quickly for all of us.  We will be able to see/talk to the kids thru skype and they will be able to see some of the things Maggie is doing, so hopefully that will help.

I can't believe we're almost there....just a year ago in March we were attending a seminar from our agency to find out what adoption is all about.  I honestly felt God was going to move quick for us, but I never imagined it like this.  I'm so thankful for all we've learned.  We continue to ask each of you to pray.  Right now, specifically for our children and our safety.  Secondly, for our health and the health of our children during these days.  And most of all for the transition that's before all of us.  A whole new world for Maggie as well as transitioning for my family.  I pray Maggie will attach and bond to us quicker than we imagine and that our children will love and welcome her into their hearts and our home as soon as they meet.  Exciting days ahead!  Thank you to all of you for following us, encouraging us and praying for us.

Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land.   Proverbs 25:25

.....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion.....Phillipians 1:6

The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.    1Thessalonians 5:24

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in you.   Isaiah 26:3

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I got your email, but I hate emailing back on my blackberry, so I'll email you tomorrow when I get to work. In answer to your question, you need to get a VPN so you can access blogger and Facebook while in China. There are a bunch out there, but I have close friend who have used Express VPN and had great luck with it. You can Google it. It is $12.95 a month and you can cancel it when you come back. I got mine this weekend and ran the setup. Super easy!

    ReplyDelete